To make things easier on you both:
- Follow the person’s normal bathing routine.
- Use a handheld showerhead and consider getting a shower seat for safety.
- Check the temperature of the water before the person gets in.
- Play some soft music and call it “spa day” to help relax the person.
- Allow your loved one to do as much as possible.
- Cover them with a towel so they do not feel exposed.
- Give the person a washcloth to hold.
- If a bath or shower are not safe or the person refuses, consider giving them a sponge bath.
As the disease progresses, you may want to get some equipment to make this process safer and easier. Some things to consider for your home are:
- Shower chair
- Tub transfer bench
- Handheld shower head
- Raised toilet seat
- Anti-scald device on faucets
See our Information Tip Sheets and Tip Videos for more information about this topic.